Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Our first day of home school begins tomorrow!

This year we are using My Father's World's curriculum, Countries and Cultures, so naturally we have a world wall map.  My hubby was helping me hang it on the wall tonight when he said, "Well, I guess it's official.  We are home schooling."  I said, "No.  It was pretty much official when we hit 'purchase' on the curriculum!"  He agreed;)
If you come to my house it will feel a little bit like an elementary school room, these days.  We are using our breakfast nook as our school area right now.  I wanted to use an area in our house that we are naturally in most of the time.  That way if the boys are working on something and I need to step away for a moment, I'm not far away.  Plus, we don't really have an extra room at the moment so the decision was quite easy.
What does a home school home look like, you ask?  To give you an idea, a wall map now replaces a nice mirror that used to hang in my breakfast nook.  The walls are lined with cubbies filled with various books and craft supplies.  In my living room is another shelf that holds activities for Superboy to work on while Dinoboy does school work that he can't participate in.  My farm style table is now covered with a wipeable table cloth that is actually for Valentine's Day (hehe).  I have plans to replace that with something a little more neutral very soon.  I will also be getting a dry erase board soon that will join the wall map. There are a few little things that I want to add, but overall I'm pleased with how it's all coming together.  I was just thinking of how much color and life all of the school materials seem to add to our home!  
In case you are wondering what a home school mom does the night before school to prepare, I'll tell you what this mom did.  I sorted through markers, sharpened pencils, reread my lesson plans, watched a little Netflix with the hubby and typed this blog.  It's almost 11:30pm and I'm thinking I should probably add sleep to list.


Here's to a happy school year!



No comments:

Post a Comment