Pages

Monday, August 27, 2012

First Day of School

The school year is off with a GREAT start!  Here are a few highlights from my day (in no particular order):

1.  Superboy LOVES to pray!  We start our day with prayer and bible time.  Nothing too complicated, but it starts us off right.  Superboy is always the first one to volunteer to pray.  He prays for everything and everyone.  Even his toys and puzzles:)

This is how Superboy works on his letters.  He actually did trace the  "A", but then coloring them seemed more fun!

2.  Dinoboy hates to write!  I mean HATES!  It was very encouraging today that he willingly wrote anything I needed him to and even asked for MORE spelling work!  He said it was fun!  As tempting as it was to let him keep going, I know him very well and I know he will get burnt out if I let him.  I told him that we had other work, but at the end of the day if he still wants to work on it, he could.  The pics below are during Spelling.








                                              A little chocolate milk helps;)
                                             


These pics are of Dinoboy.  We were taking a picture for his passport to go around the world this year in class!  I told him he couldn't smile.  This is him trying not to smile :)








3.  I love that I get "I love you Mommy" many times a day!  I'm prepared and know that there will probably be days where that won't be the case, but I think they will be few and far between;)  If anyone has ever doubted that children need a routine, you should come to my house.  My kids thrive on it!  When we don't have a routine (which was most of our summer), they fight more, whine more and I don't get as many "I love yous".  That's the truth.


I've set a few goals for this year.  None of which have too much to do with education.  I obviously want my children to learn, but through the teaching times and lessons I want them to learn more than just book and world knowledge.  Here they are:

1.  I want them to LOVE to learn!  I'm hoping to show them that learning isn't just school.  It's exploring and going on adventures.  It's watching a bee gather nectar in a flower.  It's showing your brother how to tie his shoe or learn his days of the week.  I don't want them to equate school with boring, but with exploring!

2.  I hope they begin to see that their brother is the best friend God gave them!  I tell them this all the time, but I'm hoping to see them playing together as friends this year.  They were playing together today and I heard Dinoboy tell Superboy "I love you" and of course Superboy said "I love you too:)".  I have to say, I didn't expect this on day 1!

3.  I'm looking forward to watching them learn scriptures and put them in their hearts and seeing them put them to practice.  My hope as a mom is to train them in this way before they are adults.  So that when they are grown men the first one they turn to for answers is the Lord, not just their parents and certainly not the world.  I'm looking forward to watching my little warriors learn to pray and fall more in love with Jesus!

These goals give me new energy and perspective when trying to teach them.  I know today is our first day of school, but don't we teach them everyday?  I try to keep my goals in front of my eyes and remind myself in the tougher situations what I'm really doing.  When one of them is being a little more difficult is it more important that he "finishes his work or else", or learns from how I react to him in the situation?  I don't always get this right...believe me!  I've learned to tell them I'm sorry and ask them to forgive me.  Hopefully this teaches them the flip side.  That even mommies and daddies get it wrong sometimes, but we're not too proud to ask for forgiveness.

What are your goals?  Even if you aren't a home school mom, what goals do you have for your children or for your family?  If you don't have them, I hope that you would pray about them and see where God leads you.  He cares about the smallest and the biggest parts of your life and wants to see you succeed in all areas!

 "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  Jeremiah 29:11


No comments:

Post a Comment