Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2012

As you know, I have 2 little boys.  Each one is totally different and unique from the other.  I love to watch them play and to play with them.  I wish I had little elves or maids around that could do all my other work so all I had to do was love on them, play with them and teach them.  Seriously...

Probably before I even had them I thought of what I would do for my kids for school.  I grew up in NC in an area where we had wonderful public schools.  It was almost unheard of for children to go to private school.  Or at least it was to me!  My husband grew up near Baton Rouge, LA and the public schools at his time of up bringing, were not good schools so he went to private christian school until he was in the fourth grade when he began home schooling.
When my children were born we lived near Baton Rouge and the schools in the area were actually good.  We ended up moving to an area of MS that has great public schools.  So when my oldest was going to begin Kindergarten he went to public school.  That's where he has been for the past 2 years.  The school and teachers are great, but at the beginning of each school year I'm reminded of the other choice. Home school.  This year it has been on my mind and heart almost constantly!  So much so I go to bed at night praying about it.  When I wake up and am getting him ready for school, I think about it.  When I'm doing homework and unfinished work with him, I think about it.  It is always on my mind! 
I just always had home schooling in the back of mind.  Almost on reserve just in case something happened or if I felt like God was leading us to do that.  I didn't actually think I would have to use it....or maybe I did.  I don't know.  I think I just had this fear that I wouldn't do a good job or I would some how damage my child.  There's also the desire to be like everyone else.  Not that I knew that I had that, but now that I look back it was just "normal" to send your child off to school, be on the PTO, go to the school functions, etc.  I'm not in any way criticizing this.  I'm just speaking from my own personal life experience. 
So, my husband and I began to really pray about it as an option for us.  I think when we first began talking about it, I think he thought that it was just another one of my phases and just as soon as one of the boys act up I'll decide fast against it.  Well I didn't.  The past few months I have not only been praying and talking with my husband, but asking my home school moms many questions.  I've read many books, checked out curricula, websites, etc.  and I've come to the conclusion that it's best for our family right now.  I'm don't know if we will always home school, but for the next school year at least we are.
What began the process was us thinking about what we were going to do for our youngest for school.  He has a seizure disorder that makes it difficult for him to play outside.  One of the main triggers is heat and sometimes sun light.  I just didn't want him to be the kid who can't play outside.  Not only that, but I can imagine how hard it would be for a 6 year old little boy to not play outside at school with his friends.  I know how hard it is now with him just being home!  We decided that we would home school him.  There were a series of events that began us thinking about home schooling Dinoboy as well.  I'll write about that in another post;)
One thing is for sure.  God is with us so we can not fail!  If He is for us, who can be against us?  He is and will always be my Rock.  Each day I will pray for wisdom on how to best teach my boys and what He wants them to learn.  Not just what is in our curriculum (even though I love it!).  I pray that they learn about God and His love for them and how to have Godly character as a child.  Our goal as parents is to raise Godly young men above all else.  Everything else will fall into place.  That is my reminder for this school year.
Be encouraged if you are praying about a major decision in your life.  God is there to guide you and give you wisdom in each area of your life.  Pray and He will guide you.  He never fails:)

No comments:

Post a Comment